2023 is all about AI, especially after the emergence of ChatGPT. AI is taking over so many human jobs that the uncertainty of losing the earning potential of many human employees is increasing day by day. Even though the way we work has changed for the better, there is a chance that some of us can also lose our jobs to AI.
But is this situation almost certain?
The Main Difference Between AI and Human Virtual Assistants
AI has already taken the role of customer care executives, but when it comes to solving more critical problems, AI needs human executives’ assistance. However, one of the reasons to hire a human virtual assistant is that most clients prefer the consultation of a human executive rather than some pre-programmed machine.
And a big reason behind this is the emotional aspects missing in machine learning technologies. Human employees will not only listen to their queries but are able to make them feel valued and offer a customized solution. While AI is capable of offering solutions by scanning through all the data in its system, it still lacks compassion.
We can dissect the functionality of Siri to prove this point further. It’s evident that AI assistants like Siri or Alexa are more than capable of answering any query quickly and can perform certain tasks, thanks to predefined algorithms. But Siri lacks the emotional intelligence that we, as humans, can offer.
On the other hand, AI is fast and accurate. You can blindly trust AI assistants on certain things that might not be error-free for human assistants. Plus, there is also the fact that you can get assistance from an AI helper at any time, but that is not possible when you are interacting with a human assistant across different time zones.
There is no language barrier with AI, as well. You can get help from an AI despite your geolocation. Hence, business owners can expand their services beyond boundaries.
Now, let’s discuss some of the pros and cons of AI virtual assistants and human virtual assistants.
The Benefits of Human Assistants
We have already talked about one of these pros of virtual assistants, but let’s dive deep into it to understand why emotional intelligence and empathy are important. When dealing with human virtual assistants, you won’t have to describe how you are feeling or how urgently you need the solution. The assistant can detect your tone and emotions and respond accordingly. Imagine this: you need urgent assistance to locate a nearby dental clinic for a dental emergency that accepts your insurance plans.
AI assistant might offer you some nearby locations but might not be able to fulfill the later requirement as it lacks the data for that. On the contrary, human assistants can manually scan all the nearby dental clinics that also acknowledge your dental insurance plans. All the while, they will provide you with emotional support to calm you down. Human assistants are more than capable of deeply understanding your query and forging a connection with you.
Adaptability and Critical Thinking
AI assistants are experts at completing predefined duties, but they fall short when addressing cryptic or intricate scenarios. Hence, AI customer care executives are programmed to transfer such requests to their human counterparts. Their cognitive strength and the capability to perform critical thinking provide them with the skills to dissect complex issues and offer reliable solutions. Creative thinking is one of the best aspects of why humans cannot be replaced by AI software just yet. They truly carry a level of skillfulness that any machine-learning software cannot match.
Communication and Natural Language Fluency
Although there are several AI programs that offer language learning services, humans are still the masters of understanding language. This means that humans don’t only speak the words, but they can hold a conversation at the same level as you.
Human employees also get your tone, and they can also understand whether you are joking, comprehend different conservational ways, and understand whether the client is in a light or serious mood. One of the benefits of hiring a human virtual assistant is that they can address critical issues and make you feel heard and understood.
Assistants are not only there to fulfill your request or solve your queries! They are also helpful in understanding you the way you want to be comprehended. After some time of working for you, human virtual assistants can become your friends who can take care of all your requirements without much guidance. AI cannot replicate this as it works on the data that’s incorporated into them. It might be able to solve any problems, but human intelligence only makes it possible to form that personal connection and understanding.
Privacy and Security Considerations
We are all aware that AI technology is not always a reliable friend. There have been many new flashes of AI leaking the personal information of its users and raising security concerns day by day. AI algorithms feed and work on data, and this data sometimes includes our personal information like our whereabouts, behavioral patterns, communication, and even our emotions and thoughts. Cybercriminals or hackers can get to all the data and misuse the information, landing us in legal complications.
On the other hand, properly trained human virtual assistants don’t pose such a risk. They ensure that all their client’s data is stored optimally and securely. People who are in legal or medical settings should especially consider choosing human virtual assistants instead of AI software.
The Risks of Working with Human Assistants
Although there are several ups in collaborating with a human assistant, there are also some human virtual assistant cons.
- Cost: The expense that comes with the human virtual assistant is surely a dealbreaker for many people. Not all companies can carry the expenses such as monthly salaries, paid leaves, training costs, etc.
- Unavailability: Human assistants are not guaranteed to be there for you despite the hour of the day. Issues like medical emergencies, family issues, and other daily life dilemmas can hinder their chances of availability. Such limitations can be a real headache when there is an urgent task to address or a query to resolve.
- Limited Scope of Scalability: Hiring human assistants is costly and has limited scalability options. As the workload progresses, there is no option to increase their productivity. Hence, you will need to invest more resources and money in finding new assistants.
- Skill Diversification: Last but not least, no human assistants are experts in every field. You will have to search for different people to conduct different tasks, which can be quite time-consuming.
The Benefits of AI Assistants
Now, let’s talk about the benefits of virtual assistant technology. There are too many to begin with, especially because the sole purpose of creating AI was to simplify human lives. And the best thing is it’s always evolving at a rapid speed.
Here are some of its advantages:
Unlike their human counterparts, AI assistants can work round-the-clock tirelessly. AI assistants don’t require break time, work time limitations, or the need to rest. Their uninterrupted performance makes it easier for companies and individuals to get the help they require at any time of the day. Be it the holiday season, the middle of the night, or the weekends, your questions will be answered, and AI assistants will solve problems.
One thing that AI is a master at is analyzing data. Because AI algorithms and machine learning technologies are run on data, these technologies can scan through a vast majority of data at lightning speed and with unmatched accuracy. Although there are several human virtual assistants with remarkable data analysis skills, they are no match when it comes to maintaining time, accuracy, and level of productivity. AI can also scan data in real-time, which enables them to offer assistance in making informed choices briskly. This function is especially important for people and businesses in the healthcare, marketing, and finance industries, which derive insights from data to drive innovation and efficiency.
Room for Improvement
AI is still in its infancy; it’s continuously improving and evolving as researchers and developers are always looking for new ways to enhance AI algorithms and their capabilities. This means that in the future, we are going to see a sophisticated version of AI assistants. All the mistakes they are making now are lessons for them to adapt better and increase efficiency. Soon, their user experience will reach new heights, and they won’t need any additional help to solve critical problems.
Because AI systems don’t require hands-on training, salaries, or other facilities that human assistants require, including AI assistants is a cost-effective option for business owners. Think about it: as a business owner, wouldn’t you want someone who is an expert on their job and won’t require monthly salaries, holiday leaves, or expensive scalability training? It’s especially helpful for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
The Risks of Working with AI Assistants
As mentioned earlier, AI still has room for development, even with its numerous advantages. So, we cannot completely depend on its performance yet. Here are some of the downsides to AI:
- Data Bias: Even though AI learns from data, sometimes it might cause them to produce a biased opinion. And the reason is that some of the historical data may contain discrimination and biases. Therefore, the decision-making process by AI assistants might not be completely trustworthy.
- Technical Glitch: AI assistants are not error-free. Technical glitches and errors in AI software can cause minor issues and massive inconveniences. It can lead to some serious consequences in the legal and healthcare field.
- Overreliance: Becoming overly dependent on AI assistants is a fact that can reduce the decision-making capabilities of humans.
- The Need for Maintenance: AI systems require ongoing supervision and maintenance to work properly and without rest. And failing to do so can hinder productivity.
- Ethical Dilemma: Machines lack the ability to be compassionate, which is why these systems can produce ethical dilemmas. This is more true when AI is used for surveillance purposes that disrupt social values and people’s rights.
Pick the Right Option for Your Company
In the end, the choice between AI and human virtual assistants depends on a company’s specific requirements and preferences. Both AI and human virtual assistants have pros and cons, and we tried to cover it all in this article. Here are some of the aspects you need to think over before making your decision:
- The required level of security and privacy for the job
- Whether AI or human will be a good fit for the mission and core values of your company
- The level of customer satisfaction you want and who is the best candidate who can meet that level of user experience
- The difficulty level of the task that the assistants will perform
- Whether you require round-the-clock assistance or for a certain duration of the day
Many companies have selected a blended approach of AI systems and human experts to reap all the benefits of AI virtual assistant technology and human virtual assistants. These companies have segregated these tasks on the level of difficulty and urgency. For example, if the company requires an assistant who will be able to solve critical issues, they can rely on human virtual assistants to provide unbiased and ethical solutions. And for quick decision-making assistants, AI systems would be the best pick.
Want the best of both worlds? Our advice is to choose the experts at Use Per Wish. Our human virtual assistants can provide prompt solutions with 100% accuracy and 24/7 support for businesses of all sizes.
Contact us today to be at the top of innovation and market demands.